Wow! The Internet is afire with the newest Facebook announcement – Branded Pages can now have the Timeline layout by choice and the Timeline will be the mandatory layout by the end of March.
Now, we all know that Facebook users tend to flip out whenever the powers that be make a change to the FREE system, and let’s just avoid all that craziness. Yes, it’s a change. Yes, it might mess with some of the things you have already set up. Yes, it means some work on your behalf to make it look good again.
It also means the addition of a cool cover photo. It means being able to highlight major events, photos and conversations in your history. It allows you to add milestones and other historic details about your company or organization.
To get you started down the right road so you have the full month to plan and update before the change is forced upon you, here’s a few links to help you out. (Disclaimer: I wrote NONE of these, I’m just pointing you to some existing content.)
- Pages Product Guide PDF from Facebook; includes a Features Overview, Management Tools overview and a CHECKLIST of what you need to do to make it all look good.
- Facebook Timeline Brand Pages are Here (Mashable)
- How to Prepare for Your Company’s New Facebook Page (Mashable)
- Facebook Opens Timeline To All Biz Pages, Mandatory After 30 Days Of Curation (TechCrunch)
- What the Visual Patterns of Facebook Timeline Mean for Your Nonprofit (nonprofithub)
- How To: Custom Design Your Nonprofit’s Facebook Timeline (Nonprofit Tech 2.0)
I would also suggest designing outside the typical rectangle for your cover photos. Here’s a few links to get you thinking (these are mostly from personal timelines, but the idea is still the same):
- Photographer Sylvia Cook has some great layouts to spark your imagination!
- Facebook Timeline Cover: 40 (Really) Creative Examples (Hongkiat.com)
- Photoshop Template for creative Facebook Timeline Covers (AGBeat)
- 10 Facebook Timeline Designs That Will Blow You Away (Mashable)
A few Non-Profits already using the Timeline:
- Amnesty International
- charity: water
- Greenpeace International
- Mercy Housing
- The Ugly Christmas Sweater Party in Kansas City
Would love to see YOUR organization’s and event’s timelines! As you get them setup, please leave a comment with a link to your Facebook page!